Ed Roberts Campus (ERC) and ERC QALICB
Position: Accounting Manager
Location: Berkeley, CA
FTE: .50 FTE with some flexibility
The Ed Roberts Campus (ERC) and its affiliate, the ERC QALICB are seeking a Contract Accounting Manager.
The ERC (www.edrobertscampus.org) is a nonprofit corporation formed by seven organizations that share a common history in the Disability Rights/Independent Living Movement of people with disabilities. These organizations joined together to develop a universally designed, transit–oriented office building located at the Ashby BART Station in Berkeley, California. The ERC opened in 2010 and houses the offices of the seven collaborating partner organizations, eight additional tenants, accessible meeting rooms, a fitness center, Early Head Start child development center, a cafe, and an art studio.
The ERC QALICB was created as a result of a New Market Tax Credit (NMTC) financial transaction during the development of the Ed Roberts Campus. The ERC QALICB is the leaseholder of some of the ERC’s tenant leases.
The ERC and ERC QALICB have a combined budget of $2,000,000.
Position Summary: The Accounting Manager is responsible for all aspects of the ERC’s accounting, cash management, budgeting and financial planning, financial reporting, and payroll for five employees. The Accounting Manager maintains and implements financial and accounting policies, practices and procedures, and ensures they meet all legal and regulatory requirements. The Accounting Manager prepares internal and external financial statements and oversees the annual audits and tax reporting of the ERC and the ERC QALICB. The Accounting Manager reports to the ERC Board of Directors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities. The following duties are the essential functions of this position.
General Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Record cash receipts, prepare bank deposits
- Monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts (currently nine accounts)
- Responsible for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Prepare, review, revise and monitor all cash inflow and outflow procedures to ensure adherence and compliance with organizational policies, ensure that adequate internal controls are utilized, and that proper classification of all accounting transactions takes place in a timely manner
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Calculate monthly principal and interest
- Ensure monthly loan transfers and payments occur on schedule
- Conduct month-end close for financial statement preparation
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial and operational reports for Board presentation
- Maintain chart of accounts
- Maintain fixed asset schedules and performs yearly fixed asset inventory
- Maintain other schedules including depreciation and prepaid schedules
- Maintain an internal control system to ensure that all processes and procedures are documented and consistently followed
Budgeting and External Reporting
- Lead and work with the Finance Committee to create budgets for the ERC and the ERC QALICB
- Calculate inter-company (ERC and ERC QALICB) allocation percentages for operating expenses for upcoming fiscal year and ensure that master budget incorporates correct allocations
- Develop long range forecasts and participate in planning with the Finance Committee
- Provide financial information for external agencies including NMTC financial institutions, lenders, investors, foundations, auditors, and public officials
Tenant/Building Related Accounting
- Maintain and update Rent Rolls
- Calculate yearly tenant operational expense surplus/deficit
- Calculate annual rent increases based on CPI for Bay Area
- Draft letters of annual rent increases
- Issue monthly rent invoices
- Calculate and document monthly telephone charges for partners
- Prepare monthly telephone expense invoices for seven ERC partner organizations
- For event rentals, receive payments, process credit cards, issue receipts, issue refunds if necessary
Payroll and Contractors
- Prepare and submits timely and accurate semi-monthly payroll using local payroll vendor
- Review payroll reports for accuracy prior to posting
- Resolve payroll discrepancies and responds to employee inquiries in a timely fashion
- Create 1099-Misc forms and distribute
- File all mandated reports with EDD / IRS
Audit and Taxes
- Prepare for the ERC and ERC QALICB annual audits and coordinate with Management Team and auditors
- Prepare work papers to support the preparation of the Form 990s
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent formal education and experience
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in non-profit accounting
- Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit finance and accounting
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Proficient in QuickBooks for Nonprofits
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- Ability to work with little supervision and communicate effectively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise good judgment and discretion at all times
- Knowledge of New Market Tax Credits, property management and leasing are highly desirable
Compensation is commensurate with experience and will be within current SF-East Bay Area nonprofit market rates. Employer paid health and dental insurance.
How to Apply. Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Susan Henderson at email@example.com. Open until filled.
As part of the employment process we will request that you complete financial disclosure forms. This information is required to be gathered from all new employees to comply with certain New Market Tax Credit program requirements, from which the Ed Roberts Campus has benefited. All information submitted will be kept strictly confidential.
The ERC encourages individuals with disabilities and people with diverse life experiences and backgrounds to apply.